Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Silver Anniversary: Faux Patina

I hope today finds you well :) I have had this idea for a 25th anniversary card in my mind for a few months now, and it feels great to finally get it out on paper. We tried the faux patina technique  in a card class with my upline, and I loved it! Since then, I have used it a few more times to make birthday and thank-you cards, but I thought it would look extra special for a beautiful 25th anniversary. Now, no one I know will be celebrating a 25th anniversary soon, but it is never a bad idea to have a variety of cards in stock because you never know when you'll get that odd request for a special card :)


The faux patina technique is a time consuming, but not a challenging, technique. There are a few steps involved:

First, ink up the embossing folder you want to use, I am using lacey brocade & midnight muse ink. To do this, rub the ink pad all over the embossing folder and run your paper through the big shot.



Next, sponge the colours you are using all over the embossed page. I am using baja breeze & basic grey (lightly applied).

Then we heat emboss! Make sure to use your embossing buddy prior to applying the versamark. I dabbed the versamark all over the page, then covered the page with silver embossing powder. If I think that there will be too much silver, or not enough of the sponged colours are showing, I wipe some of the embossing powder off with a paint brush before heating.

Viola! The background is complete :) See, not hard at all :)


In order to make a more vintage look, try other colours! I have used early espresso on the embossing folder, sponged with marina mist & wild wasabi, and used gold embossing powder.


Thanks for looking and leave me a comment if you have any questions! :)

Supplies used:
Stamps: Memorable Moments, Apothecary Art
Ink: Midnight Muse, Baja Breeze, Basic Grey, Versamark
Paper: Whisper White, Brushed Silver Cardstock, Baja Breeze
Tools: Labels Framelits
Accessories: Lacy Brocade Embossing Folder, Tim Holtz Sponges, Silver Embossing Powder, Embossing Buddy, Victoria Crochet Trim, 1/2" Seam Binding Ribbon, Hat Pin & Jewels from Pretties Kit (ret), Baja Breeze & Basic Grey Markers, Dimensionals

2 comments:

  1. Awesome card Karly! Just beautiful! Love the blues with this technique. Nicely done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charissa! :) it turned out different than I thought, but it still looks pretty nice :)

      Delete